Monday, June 6, 2011

She's Leavin'... On a Midnight Train to Georgia

Ok, so not at all. But I've had that wonderous melody stuck in my head ever since I made a liiiittle decision!
{& yes, being raised a Motown child from day 1 in the womb, I know the lyrics actually say "He's leavin" but that would have been even less applicable.}
I leave for Myrtle Beach a mere 2 weeks from today!!!!!!!!!

This is not your typical summer vacay.. I'm going to be in MB for about 6-ish weeks! A friend of mine that I used to work with moved out there around the beginning of the year to be the General Manager of a restaurant & bar called The Patio. She always told me she had plenty of room if I ever wanted to come visit & when she offered me a job bartending for the summer I took it! Don't get me wrong, it took a little thinking & weighing of options, but when it came down to it all I could think was "summer in Lex, or summer on the beach?" Hmmmm... Tough one. NOT!

Bo {the boo} did something similar last summer when he went to Vegas for about 2 months during the World Series of Poker... He said it was like a paid vacation & a great experience. So I thought, hey, why not?!


Got my paperwork last week & I am getting more & more excited with each day that passes!



Not gunna lie though, my anxiety also increases with each day that passes. I am stepping so far out of my comfort zone in doing this it's just ridiculous. I'm proud of myself, but I can't help but be mildly terrified. Why you ask? Here's why:

1. I'm a control freak with a capital CF.
{Funny how CF stands for something else I tend to be on a regular basis}
Controlling just about everything around me keeps my little anxious heart at peace, but this is one of those things I can't control. I don't know how it will go. It might be the greatest thing I've ever done, but who knows, there is always a risk that it could be the dumbest thing I've ever done.

2. I get so stupidly homesick.
I swear I'm a 5 year old trapped in a 23 year old's body. Without fail, every vacation I've ever been on, I spend the first couple nights crying myself to sleep. Not kidding! It's so lame. & my mom can attest to this because if she's not with me, I call her those first couple nights & cry about how I want to go home. Yes, I'm a loon & I know this. But after that first day or two, I'm fine! But will I be able to be fine when I'm looking at 6 weeks away from home? For my loved ones that will be in Lexington, let's hope so.

3. I'm incredibly immature & hate driving on the interstate.
Again, I'm a loon & I know this. I am slowly, & I mean slooooowly, {think snail without an agenda motivating them to at least try & move more quickly than capable,} getting acclimated with the interstate. Ya know, the do's, dont's, & WTF's. I am fully aware this is stupid. I don't know why, but I just hate driving on the interstate & I really believe it's because I just haven't done it enough. Not to mention, I've never driven more than an hour or so when I have been on the interstate. Maybe I'm nervous about nothing, but I think it might be kind of brutal. I'm not the best person to be around if I'm bored. I think I'll be bored after about hour 1. Just a guess, though. It may be less.

BUT! I really & truly think this is something I have to do. If I am ever hesitant about any decision in my life, I have to ask myself... "Will I regret not doing this?" & believe it or not, my answers to that question when making a decision have lead me to try many things that I really enjoy! Who knows, maybe I'll hate it, but it's only 6 weeks! & I'll get to look at the beach every single day! It couldn't really be that bad, right?! Right :)

So here I am, listing away in preparation for my departure! My momma & step-daddio got me these little babies specifically for my trip!


How cuuuute will these look while traveling?! I love them!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment